Wednesday 19 September 2012

Not doing it



It must be about six weeks since I last blogged. I have been on holiday. Well, sort of.
Taking a holiday from writing is seductive. It just comes upon you. Easy. Just like standing on a slippery slope and being given a slight push. You slide down gently at first, and then you accelerate as the days go by. And by the time you know it, days, weeks and even months have passed. 
And try as you might, anything you want to say sounds foolish or irrelevant or both.
So, time for a diversion: Watch the Summer Games; paint the house; take a trip. When all these fail to inspire, try selling the house.
They say that death, divorce and moving house are the three most stressful things in life. I have not tried divorce and, so far, I have escaped the attentions of the grim reaper. But trying to write a piece when the spirit sags is, in my view, much, much more disruptive to the soul than any of these.
…So we sold the house and, temporarily homeless, took up residence in a midtown Toronto hotel two or three blocks from where the house was (and still is). 
Hotel residence is never ideal, but this one is particularly vile, even though it is one in an acclaimed international chain. Besides, its rates were extortionate, probably because of demand created by the ongoing TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) season. Although we did eventually negotiate the rate down (by the VAT), the stay caused serious damage to the family exchequer. A film festival should not be a licence for hotels to “tiff” from the public, the authorities should be told.
But the price has been worth it, nevertheless. I find I can write once more.
Tell Fren Tru

3 comments:

  1. As long as you can write again! That's the main thing! Perhaps you should have asked the hotel what discount they would offer to have you as their Writer in Residence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this slippery slope thing isn't catching! You see, I have been on it for 18-plus months; and I did see you in May, didn't I. Not to worry though; I tell myself I'm a thinker, not a writer. Yes I do write at times but, for me, putting the proverbial pen to paper, is but one of umpteen ways of conveying ideas. I shan't list them all. Suffice it to say that telepathic transmittal is my odds-on preference. You merely close your eyes, assume a purposeful aspect and hope someone, somewhere gets on your wavelength. I know for sure that it works with my significant other, for her most popular refrain whenever I am thus engaged is "I know what you are thinking. I can read you like a book!" So, you see, I'm always on the job, slippery slope or not!

    j.s. demba

    ReplyDelete